Monday, May 28, 2012

Catching Up


It's a girl, just not yet.  My work-friend, Andrea, is having a baby.  I am so happy for her.  She was pregnant last year and miscarried.  Everything seems to be going really well and it is her third child.  Look at the picture above.  The squares of fabric are pillowcases for Andrea's girls.  They are still little (five and four) and I wanted to give them something that was for them when we had the baby shower for Andrea.  There is a quilt on top of the lamb.  It is pink, yellow, green and blue squares.

There is a story about the lamb.  In the English class we are reading the book, The Giver by Lois Lowry.  If you haven't read it, it is worth reading even as an adult.  The premise is this community has gotten rid of the the messiness in life.  All is the same and pretty darn perfect for the people who live there.  One of the things they got rid of is real animals.  All that is known of animals is as a comfort object they have as a baby.  In fact, it called "comfort Object" in the book.  The small child in the story, Gabriel, has a stuffed elephant.  I bought the lamb and wrote a note about comfort objects.  No one else got the reference, but Andrea did.


This was a very wonderful gift.  Count on Chrystania to do something really cool!  It is a diaper cake.  As you open it up there are little surprises inside--much like the hair bow on the top of the cake.  She said her sister gave her one and she figured out how it worked.  So special.

Thursday was my guild meeting.  If you look close, you can see the baskets in the back.  On the design stand, there are two blocks that were from this month.  I am concerned about the contrast.  There are 5 different flower centers.  Some are showing up better than others.    The contrast seemed just fine of my kitchen table, which is where I cut my fabric, iron and sew.  Now a tour of my corner would be fun!  ha,ha,ha.

One of the projects I am doing for my guild is a block swap.  I am going to hand out paint chips in blues and greens with cream to mirror the colors of the ocean.  I love the ocean.  This summer I am planning a weekend trip to Fort Ross with the darling daughter.  We may stay in Santa Rosa.  There is a Charles Schultz museum there that is wonderful.  I especially love the store.  There is so much Peanuts stuff!

Here is one last pic for tonight.  I just loved these flowers.  My guild meeting in May is always a tea.  There is lots of food and yummy teas.  One of the things we do is decorate the tables for a prize.  These were the flowers on the table I sat at with my mother-in-law, aunt-in-law and some others.    We did not win the prize.















I am pretty sure this table won.  I took a pic of the napkins.  I love this layered bow with ribbon.  I am thinking it would look great for our Thanksgiving table this year.  Nancy made these and she told me it took her 10 minutes to make each one.....I think.

We did a mug rug challenge and I am so sorry that these mug rugs didn't make it into the pic.  Yo can just see one corner of it.  It was really like Mary Engelbreit.


Book Recommendations
          The Girl in the Blue Beret by Bobbie Ann Mason
If you like World War 2 fiction, this is a wonderful story about an airman who was shot down in
Belgium and then guided out through France to Spain and then back to England.  He is now
 60 years old and retiring.  He goes back to France to find the people who helped him.
          The Simple Truth by David Baldacci
A miscarriage of justice has been done and an appeal was filed with the Supreme Court.  Death follows and a man needs to find out why his brother dies.  I have been reading it avidly all weekend.

Also reading:
          Touching Spirit Bear (rereading) by Ben Michaelsen
          Minding Frankie by Maeve Binchy

Have a lovely week!

No comments:

Post a Comment