Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Pillowcase Police

Today I got up as usual at 6:30am and got ready to take my monthly Saturday trek to Quilter's Corner for the Saturday Square. Most of the time I go over to spend the day with a friend. We spend the day putting our squares together. It is a great time and I love hanging out there. Every once in a while, one of us has plans that prevent us from hanging out together. I have to say that I have never that I remember in the last 3 years, missed the Saturday Square time because then I would have to pay an extra $5.00. I am such a penny pincher.......

Today I had to go spend the day with my guild who was sponsoring a Kid's Sewing Day. I was really supportive when it was first put to the board, and I might even have volunteered, about 4 months ago. So, when Natalie reminded me of the day, I felt I had to go. Turns out it was really fun. I like kids and these kids were Girl Scouts, so there was that much more cooperation. We made pillowcases for charity. The girls were wonderful and there were plenty of pillowcase kits for all. I enjoyed meeting the girls, their moms and grandmothers and we had lots of great help from the Girl Scout adults. One of our guild members, Cordelia, is the leader of the troop. She was also there helping.

Now that I have been supportive and complimentary, here is one black mark. There was a set of instructions on how to make the pillowcases. I had watched a really great video on the technique of making the tube and pulling it through to produce a pillowcase with the ever desirable French seam. I am going to be making pillowcases with students from the school where I work, so I have made at least 16+ pillowcases to make sure I felt comfortable with the process. I didn't read the handout. Instead, I showed the girls step by step my own method. I had my example and made the girls do their own so they would be able to do more. Come to find out that there is more than one way to get these pillowcases made. This one woman was there and I had no idea who she was. She told me I was doing it wrong and had the nerve to tear out one child's work and made this sweet girl do it her way. The instructions called for sewing the decorative piece between the cuff and the body of the pillowcase down. I have never done that. WRONG. That piece was suppose to be ironed up. I didn't do that either. WRONG. I was so darn tired of that woman. Who does she think she is? Turns out she is a dear friend of Natalie, the one in charge, and obviously the pillowcase police. I totally resisted any temptation and only called her a bitch when I was in the car, alone, on my way home.

We have a board meeting on Thursday. I am sure we will discuss this activity, which was really great and we should do it again, but I will make a note that it isn't productive to be the pillowcase police.

On a more positive note, Donna a lovely friend, was there with her grandchildren who were so darn cute. That was fun. And, I am proud to announce that my little group of three girls each made one pillowcase to take home and, at last count, 10 pillowcases for charity. I also made two and the grandmother who was hanging out at our table made 2 that I saw. I left a little after 2pm (I was there at 9:45am) because I was hungry after no breakfast and no lunch. I didn't think that far ahead to bring food. The girls were beginning to go home at 1pm and there were enough adults to supervise the ones still there. Despite the pillowcase police, it was a great day.

1 comment:

  1. Julie, you constantly surprise me! I always think you're so sweet and innocent, and then you tell me you said the "B" word! Even if it WAS just to yourself in the car! LOL!

    ReplyDelete