Monday, August 23, 2010

muffins and jam

On Saturday I received a jar of peach jam. I love peaches and was anxious to try it. Tonight I made apple cinnamon muffins and opened the peach jam. OMG! ` That was so yummy. The muffins were fantastic and the jam was so good I cannot even describe it. Thanks Kim for the jam.

Here is the recipe:

1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 1/4 cups flour (white or part white and wheat flour--1 cup wheat with 1 1/4 cup white)
1 large egg
1/4 cup melted butter (cooled)
1 cup milk
2 apples (cut into chunks or grate)
1/2 cup chopped pecans, raisins or dried cranberries--optional

Cinnamon sugar:
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400*. Line a muffin tin with papers and grease the insides.
Whisk together the sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and flour.
Whisk the egg. Beat in the milk and melted butter. Add the dry ingredients and then fold in the apple (and optional ingredients). Scoop into the prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar topping. Bake for 20 minutes, until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of a muffin. Remove from the oven and cool in the muffin tin for 5 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Nutritional info: 174 calories per muffin. 4 weight watchers points.

Note: I used white flour, but understand it did well intesting with wheat also. I grated my apple which makes the apple less noticable. Next time I will make chunks. It was also suggested that a 1/2 cup of butterscotch chips would make them into a dessert treat. I thought they were delicious as advertised.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yum! I will have to try you muffin recipe. My peace jam is still in the refrigerator safe and unopened (waiting for a special occasion). You picked your special occasion very well, indeed! Thanks for your tips!
    Tootles

    ReplyDelete