Wednesday, August 18, 2010

life happens

Tonight I was talking to a friend. We talk almost everyday, but did not speak last night. Her mom and daughter had been on a 3 week trip to Nicaragua before the daughter goes into the Army. Their plane landed in S.F. on Monday and they stayed with family until Tuesday when they drove home--here to Sacramento. At the time they reached West Sacramento, the daughter calls home and says they will be home in 20 minutes. That 20 minutes stretches into 40 minutes, 50 minutes--and then they get a second call from the daughter. They had an accident. Thank God no one was hurt. The current thought is that the driver, my friend's mom, fell asleep. Lots of bruises, but nothing bad. Even the guy in the other car was fine. His car was a mustang and he was broken down on the side of the freeway. He had been standing in front of the mustang and saw them coming, running out of the way to watch his car pushed forward where he had been standing, into a pole. I guess both cars are totaled.

Our family had an issue too. A cousin, Phyllis, who is in her late 60's(?) was boarding a cruise ship and suddenly collapsed and died on the spot. Phyllis had an aneurysm that burst and she was kept on life support until the family could gather. The funeral is Saturday, Aug 28th in Billings. We will send an nice something. I myself had only met her a couple of times, but she was very nice.

Reporting on my goals for July/August: I have gotten my friends together--we meet up on Saturday, August 21st. I have drank more water, but have also been drinking 7-Up. I usually don't drink soda because their is too much salt and they don't necessarily taste good to me, but I do like a really cold 7-Up. I have made progress on two of my Saturday Square quilts, but not finished either, or even begun on any of the others. I need to work on that. I have yet to begin Jane Eyre, but I have read several books including The Cinderella Pact, The Summons (John Grisham), and others. Currently reading The Appeal by John Grisham. Love his books. Also love books written by Jeffery Archer. He was a member of Parliament in England and was sent to prison for bad white collar/political crime. He went on to write crime novels and some really great short stories. I also finished Irish Girls About Town, an short story books by various Irish authors. Maeve Binchy is one of my favorites. I think I have read every book she has ever written at least 3 times each. Firefly Summer and Tara Road are my favorites. Back to my goals: I have sat outside more thanks to our very cool summer. I have watched my portions more and am thinking before I eat. I definitely have walked more often. I don't try to find the very closest parking spot. Love those spots, but still willing to walk a bit further. I have tried to be more forgiving, but I can't be perfect. I still have a few faults to work on. hmmmm.

I hope all is well for all. Good night,
Julie

2 comments:

  1. so sorry for your loss...i am glad the accident wasn't worse...cars can be replace...people can't.

    I love reading and am reading a book by Kristin Hannah right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a post you got a lot packed in there. I am too sorry for your loss and happy your friend, her mother and the mustang guy are "OK". You goals accomplishments are pretty darn good! Way to go. What is neat is that through July and August I saw you internalizing them and working on them bit (bite) by bit (bite) :o). It worked! Tootles

    ReplyDelete