Thursday, October 13, 2011

Watching the Clock

Today is Leah's surgery.  I am watching the clock and I have my cell phone --not in my bra like it was suggested to me-- in my shirt pocket.  I can see it and keep it on silent, able to slip out answer the phone at may minute.  I know everything will go well, after all this is 2011, but there is always that one exception....

Today I showed a picture to a class of 7th graders.  It is a picture of my children and my nephew in 1993.  They are sitting so sweetly in order of age.  First Sammy, then my son and lastly, the sweet girl.  I showed the picture because we tell two truths and a lie.  I said the children in the picture were my own.  I said the children were all adults now.  I said the girl's hand was drawn in and airbrushed.  The lie is that they were all my children.  I only have the two.  The day before we were to take a family portrait (that my parents arranged and spent $$$) I sent my kids to bed at the regular time.  At 10:00 that night, I made caramels to take with us to my parents.  It was Christmas time.  I cooked the caramels to the temperature it called for --250 degrees and pured the caramel into the buttered dish on the kitchen table.  Then I left it to cool.  What I didn't know is that the daughter was not asleep and was watching me.  She snuck out of her room and put her little hand into the caramel and burnt it with 3rd degree burns.  We couldn't leave her hand out in the air for at least a week because it still felt like it was burning.  When we took the picture, she had a big white bandage o her hand and the photographer drew it in and air brushed the color.  You would never know.  I will try to post a picture later, I am writing this at work during my lunch and can't do things like that on this computer.

Have a great day.  I know I will.  Thursday is music day here in the afternoon.  My favorite time with the 8th graders.......

No comments:

Post a Comment