Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

I am lucky. I love my children and my children love me back. The only drawback is that they are both adults with their own opinions and they are at the age when they are right and I am (sigh) so misguided.... Today they are arguing about whether it is worth it to go to Starbucks for 1/2 price frappuccinos. I have to side with the daughter on this one. I LOVE plain Jane coffee frappuccinos with a bit of whipped cream on top. I don't need the caramel, the chocolate or any of the other toppings that there are to add to a cup of coffee. I am a plain Jane kind of girl.

My friend Kim posted a happy mother's day message that pointed out that not all mother/child relationships are lovely as are mine. I was also lucky to have a very close relationship with my mother, who died 14 years ago last December, and my mother-in-law, who I dearly love. I know from experience with my mother and her mother (Grandma) and my father and his mother (Granny) that mother/child relationships can be less that perfect. Because I saw those relationships, I have made it my mission to make sure mine are harmonious. My mother once pointed out how I made friends and then made the entire family my friends too. I still do that.

I hope your day is lovely and there in someone out there you can call and say, "I love you" to and that someone out there calls you. In the end, it is that we are remembered and loved by others whatever their relationship with us that makes it all bearable. So happy days to all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment