Tuesday, July 24, 2012

River City Quilt Guild

A long time ago (21 years ago) I was a member of the River City Quilt Guild.  I loved going to the meetings and there was a lovely quilt show to help with and every other year we had classes with nationally known teachers.  I was made corresponding secretary right away (sending cards and notes to people--reminds me of a line from a song).  I stopped going--not because there was any problem or I was unhappy with someone--but my son graduated from Webelos to Boy Scouts.  He had been in the Boy Scouts since he was 6 years old.  Out of the twelve that began the group as Tigers, only my son and one other boy made it to Eagle Scout.  I was committed to seeing my son go all the way to Eagle Scout and his meetings were on Tuesdays--the same time as the quilt guild meetings.  I had to give one of them up--so goodbye quilt guild.  I haven't been to a meeting since my son turned 10 years old in 1999--until Tuesday, July 17, 2012.  It was amazing to see Sandy Ross standing up there speaking.  She hasn't changed in the least.  Her mom was Kit.  Kit had had polio when  she was a kid and was the only person I knew who had polio.  It was a big scare in the 30's I think.  Kit was always nice to me.

Anelie Beldon was the speaker.  She is the author of  Thoroughly Modern Dresden.  She gave a talk about the tools she loves to use.  I took notes!  She began with her choice of sewing machine for quilting--the Brother 1500.  I don't know if it is all that, but Anelie says it is.  I know my friend, Kim, uses a Juki (not sure of spelling).  She does beautiful work, soooo....  She makes her own starch.  I will stick with my big blue bottle and dilute it.  Cost is pennies, so making it from scratch seems like work to me.  Cornstarch and water makes starch.  No amounts were mentioned.  And you have to keep it in the refrigerator.  Hmmmm.  Still not going for the cornstarch here.  Anelie also mentioned a specific brand of quilting gloves--Machingers.  She did say you need to keep track of your gloves or you will miss one and not find it until you turn over your newly quilted quilt and find that glove quilted to the back!  She even showed the glove quilted to the back of a quilt.  Anelie uses Sewer's Aid (a lubricant to put on your needle--Amazon sells a 12 oz. bottle for $7.03).  Another fun tool is the quick clip.  Not really sure about that one because Anelie mentioned using it to safely close safety pins, but I couldn't find anything but the little scissors.  The coolest tool tip was about the nail holders you can buy at Lowe's.  If they fall, nothing comes out.  Great for pins and rumor has it that they cost $2.25 each!  Believe me when I say that I will be making a trip soon to Lowe's to check this one out.  For marking, Anelie uses a white water soluble pencil.  She mentioned the brand --Stabilo--which is a German company and the web site needs translating.  You can buy the Clover brand at JoAnn's Fabric and Crafts.  Notions are 50% off this week through Saturday.  If it isn't labeled as a quilting notion, then it might be worth trying.  This one is a cool trick--using a clear shower curtain to draw out patterns.  Using an erasable marker, you can use that shower curtain over and over.  Anelie cuts it up into small pieces to make it usable.  Thinking Target?  Walmart?  Kmart?  Here is something I can't use because I don't have an I-Phone, but you may be able--there is an app for Quilt reference.  Appliquer's take note--aqua brush/pen.  You can buy one at Aaron Brothers or for about the same price go over to Quilter's Corner and get their version--that is the one I use and love.  We were cautioned that there is a 3-pack for not so much money or you can buy one for $10.50 (the Aaron Brothers route).  In this case, you get what you pay for.  Pay the money  and be happier.  For organization Anelie uses the Omnigrid organizer with the yellow handle.  These can be pretty pricey.  Try Tuesday Morning (friend paid $23.00 instead of $49.00) or wait for a good sale at Shared Stitches in Cameron Park--off HWY 50 towards Placerville.  There was mention of the cordless Maytag iron.  I wrote this note:  iron for model airplanes.  I have no idea what I meant and will email Anelie and ask.  She uses readers when she wants to see up close and she uses an eyeglass case to hold her rotary cutter.  Anelie also uses Retain and something else that I am not sure of.  I wrote it completely wrong, but it is used with retain.  Another question for Anelie.  The best tip of the evening was this stuff called Restoration.  It is a washing machine product that will get out stains--even rust!

So there it is in a nutshell!  Let me know if anyone out there tries one of these tips.  Did it work?  Not work?
Inquiring minds want to know.........

No comments:

Post a Comment