Friday, December 16, 2011

24 or 48


I finished this quilt last night. 
I began it as a block of the month at Bearpaws and Hollyhocks (now closed).
It was called 24 because each month we pieced two blocks each month
ending up with 24 piece blocks. 
 Then I had to make 24 more four patch blocks.  That makes 48 blocks. 
The colors appealed to me as I saw the original hanging at the store. 
 The blocks were made in 2010. 
The blocks sat for a while as I debated about which fabrics to use for the borders. 
I put it together last month.
Then I learned that my friend Jane was retiring, today. 
There was a gift card that people contributed to for her "work" gift.
I made arrangements to have this quilt top quilted.  That was Dec 11th.
I spent the rest of the time binding the darn thing.  
I finished it, put it in a cute bag from JoAnn's.
Today I gave it to Jane. 


Jane said she wasn't at all emotional about leaving, but the quilt did it to her.
She did actually think I might give her a quilt.  After all, we had worked together for 16 years.
We are friends.  That should get you a quilt, right?
Okay, she didn't say all that.  Except that she didn't think it was going to happen
because there was no quilt at her good-bye reception.  I just hadn't finished it yet
and it was just from me, not from work.

Good-bye Jane! 
I will miss you more than you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment