Sunday, November 20, 2011


What have I done all weekend????

On Thursday I went to Berkeley, CA to award a scholarship to a very deserving student.  There is a scholarship in my parents name at CAL for an engineering student.  Every year there is a luncheon where the students show up and thank us for the money.  Very nice.  Usually my sister goes to the luncheon.  She has friends there and has made it into a trip each time.  Last year my brother, Richard, was in the area from Iowa and he went.  This year it was me.  I was surrounded by people probably a lot smarter than me--engineering types--having lunch.  I treated myself to a sweatshirt.  I was back on my way home by 2:30pm.

That evening I went to my guild meeting.  Our speaker was Helen Hardwick.  She makes these incredibly small quilts.  Her talk was about what to expect when you put your quilt out there to be judged.  At one point, she said we all had that "deer in the headlights" look.  No one by me was thinking of having a quilt judged.  When Helen asked if we had any questions, there was only one hand--Phyllis Day.  She does incredible work and wins ribbons.  the rest of us--not a question!

Friday I went to the River City Quilt Show.  It was amazing.  I absolutely loved the quilts by Jan Soule, the featured artist.  She does classes and has a trunk show.  I took her information for the next program chair for my guild.  I went expecting to be there for an hour.  I was with my friends, Sandy and Irene.  We were there for four hours.  There were so many quilts, so many vendors.  One of the vendors had this great quilt up. It was called Vintage Stitches--blue and green embroidery.  The patterns were an old fashioned sewing machine, a water pump, etc.  I loved the pattern so much, I bought it.  When I got home, I took it out and found it was just a copy.  That is so wrong.  I have heard that shops do that--take a pattern and then make their own copies and sell them, but it is so disrespectful to the designers.  I am thinking of calling the quilt guild and saying something.

Saturday and Sunday I sewed small squares together --see the picture above.  When I have more of the quilt put together, I will post another picture.

Now it is off to bed.  Have a great day tomorrow.

1 comment: